Please see below for the latest updates on COVID-19 and home inspection services. CAHPI National administrative operations remain open.
Keeping Inspectors Safe:
In order to proceed with an inspection we are suggesting questions such as these be asked to the seller/occupant of the home to be inspected to protect the health of the inspector and their families.
This could be done through the agents involved, by email to be able to retain a copy for the clients file.
1) Has anyone in the home been sick within the last 14 days (in isolation or quarantine)?
2) Has anyone in the home been directly or indirectly in contact with someone who has been sick in the last 14 days?
3) Has anyone in the home traveled domestically or out of the country in the last 14 days?
4) Has anyone in the home ever tested positive for COVID-19?
5) Has anyone in the home been exposed to someone that has tested positive within the last 14 days?
Keeping All Parties Safe During the Home Inspection
It is recommended:
- To restrict who is in attendance at the inspection.
- We would suggest no more that one person, other than the inspector, to attend the inspection to protect all parties involved. This would most often be the buyers or sellers agent only.
- The inspection contract can be signed and payment can be made all electronically in advance of the inspection.
- The formal inspection report can be delivered electronically at the end of the inspection and can be followed up by phone after the client has reviewed the full report.
Practicing Good Hygiene Etiquette
We would suggest following these preventative health and safety measures:
- Wearing latex gloves during the interior home inspection process and discard them responsibly after leaving each house in order to protect all parties (buyer, agent, seller, and inspectors).
- Wearing a protective face-mask for the entire time of the inspection.
- When possible wearing disposable overalls and footwear covers.
- Cleaning your hands often and for at least 20 seconds with soap and warm water and/or hand sanitizer when available.
- At the end of the inspection, before you leave the property, we would strongly recommend cleaning all touched surfaces in the home and all tools, including your camera and phone, with disinfectant wipes or sanitized cloths when locally available.
- At the end of your day of inspecting wash all of your clothing.
Each Province has released its own guidelines for who is, and who is not considered "an essential worker". Each of the provinces have also provided COVID-19 guidelines. Here are some links for provincial information for review.